Ten Questions with Rachel Sermanni
For those of you who don’t know (but really should!), Rachel Sermanni, is a truly unique and extraordinary folk singer/songwriter from an equally unique and extraordinary country, Scotland. With a collection of E.P's as well as two albums, containing some hauntingly beautiful and truly inspiring songs, behind her, Rachel Sermanni, is firmly in the hearts of not just us Folkies, but lovers of all genres of music.
1: Who are you?
I am Rachel Sermanni. My middle names are Elizabeth and Mary, after both grandmothers. I am the eldest daughter of three to a man and woman who both were brought up in Glasgow’s south and moved up to Scotland’s North (Aviemore area) just before I was born.
2: How would you describe your music?
A spray of genres from pop to jazz to grunge to rock, held in a glass-vase folk mentality. A strange sonic bouquet.
3: What Inspires you?
Much music listened to, often by osmosis through the ears of peers; fellow musicians, friends & family. Literature is a big inspiration, reading (fiction mainly) creates a headspace for me which often facilitates a facet of my inners which then writes a song. Space, silence, mundane occurrences, supernatural events, words shared in conversation, nothing in particular.
4. What can we expect release wise? Next, I will release an album which has been waiting to go for about three years. Hopefully it will be out early 2019.
5. Are you touring? A little. I gave birth to a beautiful human in March so have had some time off. But at the end of October I have some gigs in London, Coventry, Glasgow and Edinburgh.
6. Why did you take up music? I am always considering ‘Taking up’ things… Music was never one of those. It was more one of the ever unchanging unquestioned aspects of living and being.
7. How to do set about writing your music? It depends. Each song has a different story; beginning, middle and onward.
8. If the world was ending and you could only listen to one last song, what one would it be and why? Gymnopedie No1 By Erick Satie. There is simple, sweet, bitter, humorous, dark beauty in it. It would be a good way to finish things.
9. Any funny/weird stories or experiences from your tours? Far, far too many. Hard to bring a single one to mind. Over the years I have kept a tour journal and posted them on a blog. Perhaps I will simply direct you and any readers that way… www.rachel-sermanni.tumblr.com
10. How do you want to go out, a Zombie Apocalypse or Alien Invasion? Alien Invasion.
For more information about Rachel Sermanni and her music, check out some of the following links: